Monday, November 11, 2013

DIY Hippie Deodorant

My deodorant situation.
Homemade Deodorant: OK, so I know it sounds a little out there. But if you've already decided to go aluminum-free on your pits, you know that a vast majority of the hippie deodorants out there simply don't work. Tom's sometimes works, but only in the apricot scent. For awhile I was into the crystal but you could only apply it on clean, dry skin (my pits are usually neither). There's a whole slew of other brands that smell great in the tube, but once you put them on you just smell like... armpit.

So, I decided to go full-on DIY and make it myself. The internet is rife with recipes for homemade deodorant, almost all of them involving coconut oil and a combination of cornstarch or baking powder.

The one I chose has a cream & powder component to it, which means you slather on a bit of the cream, then dust some powder on top. After that: you're good to go. I haven't had a stinky-scented surprise when I lift my arms for Down Dog since I started using this magic concoction:

Part A: Cream:
Combine the following:
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 tbsp vitamin E oil
  • 10 drops tea tree oil
  • 10 drops lavender essential oil (optional)
Part B: Powder
Combine the following:
  • 1/2 cup baking powder
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 5 drops tea tree oil
  • 2 dried bay leaves (optional)
When you're ready to apply, rub a pea-sized bit of the cream in each armpit then dust some of the powder on with a makeup brush/washcloth/your hands. Bam! You're done. Look at you, hippie.

Note: according to the internet, some people are sensitive to baking powder. If your skin gets angry when you use this combo, try replacing the baking powder with arrowroot powder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment