Thursday, November 21, 2013

My Favorite Pose: Leg- Up-the-Wall

I know, it hardly looks like yoga! But it has a Sanskrit name and everything, I promise (Viparita Karani, though I've never heard it referred to as anything but "Legs-Up-the-Wall"). I LOVE this pose. When I go to classes at Tranquil Space, I always try to get a spot by the wall so I can do this instead of Savasana (corpse pose) at the end of practice.  I even mentioned the pose when I was interviewed as Team Player of the Month

Lots of yogis, from the old school to the new school, sing the praises of this pose. Cyndi Lee, yoga goddess, says it's her favorite.  It's said to help with just about every malady: arthritis, digestive issues, headaches, high OR low blood pressure, urinary issues, varicose veins and menstrual cramps. In addition, it's often suggested to people struggling with anxiety, depression or trouble sleeping.

I'm not an expert in the therapeutic effects of the pose, but if I hold the pose for a few minutes, I can definitely feel the blood that's been built up in my legs flow to my head. If I'm feeling  sluggish, I'll slip into this pose at home to get an energy boost. When I'm practicing yoga with an intense migraine, I make sure to give myself at least 5 minutes in legs-up-the-wall. 

To be as restorative as possible, Yoga Journal suggests 1-2 blankets or a bolster about 6 inches from your wall, supporting the area right above your sitting bones (the poke-y parts of your butt). With this support, your back should arc slightly, but your shoulders should always rest firmly on the ground. To up the comfort ante, I like to fold up the edges of a blanket a couple times and slide it under my neck for a little neck roll. 

I'll also play with different arm placements. When I'm doing this pose as a final rest during practice, I'll have my hands in the same position they would be in for Savasana (along my side, palms up). To add a bit more stretch to the pose (because you are already slightly stretching the backs of your legs), I'll bring my arms over my head and grab opposite elbows. This opens up the chest and shoulders. You can also play with spreading the legs wide, or bringing your feet together close to your body and letting your knees splay out, like you would in cobbler's pose

HOWEVER, the good news is that you don't really need any yoga accessories to get the benefit of this pose. You don't even need a mat! Just slide your hips close to an open patch of wall, gently swing your legs up and let the tranquility roll in. I encourage you to hold this pose for at least a few minutes so you can start receiving the benefits of reversing gravity's effects on your circulation. Or put on a podcast/some ethereal tunes and stay awhile! 

XO, 
KCZ

No comments:

Post a Comment